Copywriters are responsible for generating the words, slogans and audio scripts that accompany advertising visuals.
The typical creative process can involve:
- discussing the client's core message and target audience
- brainstorming visual and copy ideas with other members of the creative team
- writing and presenting a few options to clients
- modifying copy until the client is satisfied
- overseeing the production phase.
The copywriter and art director are accountable for checking all the content being advertised is truthful and complies with codes of advertising practice.
An advertising copywriter should:
- Be highly creative and imaginative
- Have good written and interpersonal skills
- Work well in a team
- Be able to work under pressure
- Have an eye for detail
- Have an interest in commerce, popular culture, and new advertising trends and techniques.
- Many copywriters have a bachelor’s degree, or degree in advertising, design or related subjects. An applicant's portfolio of work may be as important as their qualifications.
The types of projects and clients vary widely, although some copywriters may specialise in an
industry sector. They may also specialise in producing copy for:
- Above the line advertising, which uses mass media like TV, cinema, interactive media, posters and radio scripts to promote brands
- Below the line advertising, which uses less conventional methods that focus on direct means of communication, like brochures, leaflets, press advertisements and direct mail.
The copywriter is responsible for taking a client's advertising brief and generating original copy ideas that grab the attention of the target audience. This can include creating straplines, slogans, body copy, jingles and scripts. Usually working on multiple projects.
Accuracy is essential. The copywriter and art director are accountable for checking all the content being advertised is truthful and complies with codes of advertising practice.
Although proofreaders may examine the final copy, copywriters are also responsible for checking spelling and grammar.
theCluster is a marketing, communication and technology group of companies.
It is composed from 5 different companies that work independently or together in order to integrate their services provided to the clients. We're covering the entire spectrum of marketing services.
We have offices in Romania (Sibiu, Bucharest), Switzerland (Zug, Zurich) and Ukraine (Odessa).