- At least 5 year’s SW/FW engineering experience in Digital Signal Processing, SW development, power electronics control, battery management SoC/SoH algorithms etc
- Good understanding of the mathematical concepts of control systems and embedded programming methods
- Excellent working knowledge of C/C++, Embedded C++, Python etc
- Basic knowledge of converter topologies and control techniques
- In depth knowledge of most popular MCU architectures
- Excellent understanding of communication protocols eg. CAN, CANopen, RS48
- Design to meet relevant safety standards such as IEC60950, IEC62133, UL2595, UL2271 etc is beneficial.
- Basic knowledge of battery technology, specifically Lithium Ion/ Lithium Iron Phosphate or Polymer, would be beneficial.
- Strong prioritisation skills with ability to manage competing demands
- Working to customer specific requirements, validating the SW design performance and system integration through testing
- Excellent communication and organisational skills is important asset with fluent English being the preferred language and use of German beneficial.
- Qualifications: Solid academic background, holding at least a BSc (MSc preferred) in an SW/FW programming engineering discipline.
This role represents a rare opportunity for a seasoned FW/SW development engineer to join the start-up R&D team for a multi-national’s European operation. We design and manufacture batteries and energy storage systems for Tier 1 international customers. As part of the company’s growth plan, an R&D Centre is being established in Braşov, Romania to support our European manufacturing site and worldwide operations.
We require a number of engineers to join our R&D team to work on all aspects of the electronic design of battery management systems (BMS), including the power distribution and the associated control electronics, secondary protection, data collection and communication and embedded FW/SW. The role will suit a candidate with an excellent knowledge of digital electronics and design experience of Software development of Battery management systems or Power electronics digital control. Ideally a candidate with a background either industrial or automotive embedded electronics in is sought.
The successful candidate will join a multi-disciplinary team responsible for developing the company's products, specifically for the European manufacturing site. The design challenges range from review and if necessary, modification of existing products to the latest European and International standards through bespoke designs to customer specifications.
We anticipate substantial growth over the next few years as the number and scope of the R&D Centre’s projects increases. As part of the start-up team this role offers significant prospects and increased responsibility as the business evolves.
VARTA group has a worldwide presence, operating five production and battery assembly plants in Germany, Romania, Indonesia and China as well as distribution centers in the United States, Europe and Asia which sell directly to customers in over 75 countries worldwide with almost 4.000 employees.
We define the future of battery technology to empower a more independent life.