Senior Software Engineer - Java (Remote)
Some key skills + experience you’ll need
- Relevant commercial experience writing Ruby on Rails code
- Exposure to Cloud Technologies (preferably AWS)
- Keen software engineering approach and very good object-oriented design ability
- Desire to work closely with the business, learn new things and teach others
- Ability to take ownership of a project or issue, analyse it and solve problems not faced before
- TDD and functional programming
- Experience with agile development methodologies
- Working within an empowered cross-functional team to deliver business value
- Making a significant contribution to defining, maintaining and improving our architecture and best practices
- Writing, testing and maintaining quality code
- Designing and building systems which are performant and secure
- Providing support for other team members through code review, pairing and mentoring
- Be part of our success and make a difference
- 20 days holiday – to make sure you are well rested and ready to give your absolute best, we offer 20 days holiday a year (excluding national holidays) Plus, there is the option to buy an additional 5 days holiday each year too. And, to top it off we also give an extra day holiday for every 2 years of service!
- Private pension plan
- Private healthcare – keeping you in the best possible health is top of our list, that’s why we offer private medical insurance
- Monetary contribution towards your work from home setup
- Access to thousands of online courses and time back to focus on personal development (one morning a week)
- NOTHS discount – if you are anything like us, you’ll have an ever-growing wish list from the site. We give everyone that works here 20% off anything from the site (yes, that includes stuff that’s on sale!)
- Birthday gifts – it wouldn’t be a birthday without presents. When your big day arrives, you will get a gift voucher straight to your inbox! Happy shopping!
- Remote Partner events – get involved with our amazing vendors (Partners) through events like Tag Talks and Partner Stories
Diversity and Inclusion
Everyone’s welcome at notonthehighstreet – whoever they are, wherever their background.
As part of your application you’ll be asked to complete a demographic survey to help us learn more about who wants to work with us. It’s completely optional (but really appreciated) and it’s 100% anonymous. We’ll only use the information to help us figure out how to make our team even more inclusive and attract more brilliant people to join us, with the help of our cross-team Diversity Champions to drive progress.
We are notonthehighstreet.
We are a UK-based online marketplace who offer a platform for ~5000 small creative businesses (our Partners) to sell their products through our site.
We're a Product and Data led, tech-enabled business at heart, and over the last couple of years, we’ve embarked on an ambitious new phase of development to advance our technology, including platform re-architecture to serverless microservices, rewriting the front-end and introducing new big data & machine learning platforms.
Where we’re at…
We are building a new modern microservices architecture-based platform, using cutting edge technologies and different languages - React, Next JS, GraphQL, AWS ECS, Lambdas, Java 11, Swift for iOS, and Kotlin for Android to name a few.
But there’s still lots to do. With a focus on learning, development, best practices, agile ways of working and team autonomy, we’re looking to grow our strong internal tech team even further. Which is where you come in…